| ||Surrendering rebels say Pakistan, Iran aided them|
[Printer Friendly Version]
KABUL - Forty-six insurgents, who joined the government-initiated peace process in Nangarhar, Herat and Kunduz provinces on Tuesday, claimed receiving weapons from spy agencies of Pakistan and Iran.
In eastern Nangarhar, a 24-member rebel group, led by Mullah Khair Mohammad, joined the reconciliation drive. The individuals had been active in Achin, Spinghar, Nazian and Kot districts over the past five years.
Mohammad claimed they had been tasked with carrying out insurgent attacks in Nangarhar by the Inter-Services Intelligence (ISI) under the leadership of Mangal Bagh, a notorious Pakistani rebel commander.
For the last eight months, he said, they were led by Dost Mohammad, who directly received weapons from the Pakistan army.
"We have destroyed several bridges, planted mines, attacked American soldiers and assisted suicide bombers in Chaparhar and Achin districts of Nangarhar,'' the commander confessed.
Another ex-fighter, Qari Najibullah, claimed the ISI gave each fighter 200,000 Pakistani rupees for destroying an Afghan police vehicle.
Peace Council head for Nangarhar Malik Nazir said the surrendering individuals had turned in 20 weapons, 10 landmines and stolen police vehicles.
In western Herat, a 14-member group -- led by commander Jamhoor -- joined the reconciliation process. Jamhor alleged Iran provided them cash support through its agents. He claimed the Iranian agents recently asked them to conduct attacks in the Shahbed area of Ghoryan district, but they refused.
Another eight rebels, led by Sarwar, shunned the insurgency in northern Kunduz province. Sarwar complained of “incessantly bad attitude” on the part of police.
He said police handcuffed them even after they joined the peace process. "Our colleagues are also willing to join the peace process if the government is ready to have good behavior with them.''