e-Ariana - Todays Afghan News
 Home 
 News 
 Articles 
 Cartoons 
 Feedback 
 Opinion  
 Contact Us  
 An Ariana Media Publication 04/20/2014
 Commander Apologizes for Afghan Airstrike

The New York Times
06/09/2012
By Alissa J. Rubin

[Printer Friendly Version]

KABUL - The NATO and United States troop commander in Afghanistan flew to the eastern part of the country on Friday to apologize personally to surviving family members for a coalition airstrike earlier this week that local officials said killed 18 civilians.

The apology by the commander, Gen. John R. Allen, was the first admission by coalition forces that the strike on Wednesday had killed civilians, and his rare decision to meet with families close to the site of the attack, in Logar Province, was a sign that his command took the episode seriously. President Hamid Karzai has condemned the strike in strong terms and cut short a trip to China to press forward an investigation.

A joint Afghan and coalition investigation into the circumstances that led to the strike, the number of civilians killed and the procedures that were used is still under way, said Lt. Cmdr. Brian T. Badura, a coalition spokesman.

The airstrike, which occurred in the early morning, targeted a Taliban commander who was taking shelter with some of his men in a home where a wedding had taken place, according to locals, in the village of Sagawand in the Baraki Barak district of Logar Province, a Pashtun area in eastern Afghanistan.

The civilian casualties, which appear likely to be the worst so far this year involving international forces, come two months after the primary responsibility for night raids was handed to the Afghans as part of a memorandum of understanding between Afghanistan and the United States. The transfer of responsibility to the Afghans was meant in part to diminish situations like this one. The episode raised new questions about procedures and criteria for airstrikes, human rights advocates said.

During Friday’s trip to Logar Province, General Allen said: “I am here not only as the commander of the coalition forces but also as a father, to apologize for the tragedy that occurred two days ago. Additionally, I am committed to ensuring we do the right thing for the families of those we inadvertently harmed, as well as for the community in which they lived.”

In comments to The Associated Press, General Allen said that the joint Afghan-NATO force carrying out the operation had come under fire and that the troops did not know there were civilians in the house.

“They were taken under fire,” he said. “A hand grenade was thrown. Three of our people were wounded. We called for the people who were shooting to come out, and then the situation became more grave and innocent people were killed.”

According to a doctor who spoke to some women who survived the bombing, the Taliban prevented the civilians from leaving the house when the joint force shouted for the civilians to come out. A United Nations human rights team that has been investigating the circumstances surrounding the attack said its researchers had also heard that civilians were prevented from leaving the house, but with two versions of the details. In one, the Taliban told the women, elderly men and children that if they walked outside, they would be shot. In the other, the Taliban fighters prevented their going.

“You will never know for sure what motivated people to stay inside,” said James Rodehaver, the acting head of human rights for the United Nations team.

“All you can go on is whether they say they felt coerced or threatened, and that’s standard in a situation where you have fighters taking cover with civilians,” he said. “Could you seriously expect that a civilian would flee their home when armed men are awaiting them outside?”

The larger question the episode raises for human rights advocates is whether killing these particular Taliban fighters justified the use of air power, which always poses risks to any civilians who are nearby.

“You have to ask: what was the value of these Taliban that the military would risk using something as indiscriminate as air power on a civilian house?” said Mr. Rodehaver. “It’s a matter of proportionality and distinction of targets, and it was fully apparent that this was a civilian residence.”

In northern Afghanistan on Friday, the Taliban detonated an explosive device at a security wall around the jail in Sar-i-Pul Province, allowing those inside to escape through the hole. Several people, including three police officers and four prisoners, were killed in the blast and ensuing fighting, said Abdul Jabar Haqbeen, governor of Sar-i-Pul. More than a dozen escaped, Mr. Haqbeen said.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the jail break in a statement posted on their Web site.

Habib Zahori contributed reporting from Kabul.

Back to Top



Other Stories:


20,000 Heratis being sent to Iran for work
Pajhwok (12/27/2013)

At Kabul airport, exodus of U.S. aid goes on
The Washington Post (12/27/2013)

Haqqani Network leaders sexually abuse teenager boys
Khama Press (12/27/2013)

Unemployment, Crime Rising Ahead Of Troop Pullout
Tolo (12/27/2013)

British army head warns Taliban could retake key territory in south
Khama Press (12/27/2013)

Election Officials Emphasize Impartial Surveys
Tolo (12/27/2013)

A Complete US Withdrawal From Afghanistan Would Be 'A Complete Catastrophe' For Civilian Aid
Reuters (12/27/2013)

Facing Big Changes, Anxious Afghans Hope For The Best In 2014
NPR (12/27/2013)

Afghanistan, North Korea, and Somalia Are the World's Most Corrupt Countries, With China in the Middle
businessweek.com (12/04/2013)

Poetry of Betrayal: Afghan Elections and Transitional Justice
Beacon Reader (10/25/2013)

Couple beheaded in Helmand province for having love affair
Khaama Press (10/25/2013)

US senator says no aid for Afghanistan unless security deal finalized
Khaama Press (10/25/2013)

Would-be child bombers detained: NDS
Pajhwok (10/25/2013)

Afghanistan’s Next First Lady Could be a Christian
PJMedia.com (10/24/2013)

The Afghan dead find a list
Inter Press Service (10/24/2013)

10 runners shortlisted in 2014 presidential race
Pajhwok (10/24/2013)

Next Afghan president: A pen or bulldozer?
Asia Times (10/24/2013)

Afghan Election Frontrunners
The Wall Street Journal (10/09/2013)

Karzai Lashes Out at U.S. for Its Role in Afghanistan
The New York Time (10/08/2013)

Karzai offered my party $100m, Noor claims
Pajhwok (10/07/2013)

Gen. Dostum apologizes for his role in Afghanistan civil war
Khama Press (10/07/2013)

27 Candidates nominated for 2014 Afghan presidential election
Khaama Press (10/07/2013)

Karzai’s elder brother Qayum Karzai nominated for Afghan presidency
Khaama Press (10/06/2013)

Afghan mines minister Shahrani resigns to run in 2014 elections
Khaama Press (10/06/2013)

Dr. Zalmai Rasoul nominated for 2014 presidential elections
Khaama Press (10/06/2013)

Ghani formally launches quest for presidency
Pajhwok (10/06/2013)

Limited VP choices put wannabes in tight spot
Pajhwok (10/05/2013)

US embassy rejects Karzai chief of staff Karim Khoram’s remarks
Khama Press (07/18/2013)

Afghan women suffer setback as parliament lowers quota for female lawmakers
NBC News (07/18/2013)

Afghanistan, US Dispute Millions in Customs Fines
Voice of America (07/18/2013)


Back to Top